I can hardly believe it’s Friday again. This week has flown by! So, without further ado, I present you this week’s favorites:
1. Chocolate Croissants. The new French bakery/cafe, Cafe Francais Des Arts, opened in Bozeman last week and I have to confess that I’ve already been in twice. How could I resist with the likes of this calling to me from the pastry case? And, yes, they taste as good as they look. Actually, they taste even better than they look! Bozeman locals, you must go check it out!
2. Chocolate Chip Cookies! The croissants are a French classic, and the cookie is an American classic. I made a batch of these for my book club last week. These have been my go-to cookie recipe since I ripped it out of a cooking magazine years ago. I’m going to do more than just tempt you with the image. . . I’m going to share the recipe!
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Ever
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup coarsley chopped pecans or walnuts
2 cups chocolate chips (any combination of semi-sweet, milk, or white chips)
1. Heat oven to 375 F.
2. Whisk melted butter and sugars. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt. Stir into butter mixture. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
3. Scoop dough by 1/4 cup onto parchment-lined cookie sheets. Be sure to leave adequate space between cookies. Bake 10-14 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and immediately move to cooling racks. Try to resist eating half the batch.
Makes 24 large cookies.
3. Frogs. The new temporary exhibit at the Museum of the Rockies is Frogs! and the exhibit got 2 big thumbs up from me and my kids. There are at least 20 different species, all in their own terrariums. We had fun going from case to case trying to spot them all. Some were just hanging out, happy to show off their interesting colors and others were putting their camouflage skin to the test. My favorites were the poison dart frogs and these guys, a species of tree frog:
My kids loved them all, from the underwater swimmers. . .
. . . to the enormous bull frog!
These frogs haven’t seen the last of us. This is another “must-do” for the Bozemanites!
Enjoy the weekend–and stay warm!